This post contains all the information I have collected to date for the woman called Lee-O-Netto, born about 1869 in New York. I will update the page as new information is gathered, so bookmark this page and check back often.
The younger woman known as Dr. Lee-O-Netto was born about 1869 in New York State. She is identified as “Indian” in the 1930 Census. The identity of her parents is unknown. She is documented as a sister to Carrie and Isaac Henry Kanistanaux.
- c1869 – born in New York State (1920, 1930 US Census)
- 1875 – not found with her presumed parents (1875 NYS Census)
- 1880 – not found with her presumed parents (1880 US Census)
- Sep-1915 – Presumed to be the Lee O’Netto that purchased real estate in Olean, Chautauqua Co., NY.
- Apr-1920 – identified as a sister to Isaac Henry Kanistanaux in his death notice. (Obituary)
- 1920 – a resident of Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., NY. She is a single woman working as a self-employed Medical Doctor who owns her own home and has no mortgage (1920 US Census).
- 1930 – a resident of Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., NY. She is living as a single woman who owns a home of significant value for this time period. Her address is 54 West Main St. and she is identified as “Indian” and as a Medical Physician (1930 US Census).
- Jul-1931 – identified as a sister to Caroline A. (Kanistanaux) Horton in her obituary. (obituary)
Discussion & Notes
I have no idea where this person is before September of 1915 or after July of 1930. I still have no idea who the birth parents are for the three siblings, Lee-o-Netto, Caroline, & Henry Isaac Kanistanaux or why Dr. Lee is not found with her siblings in census covering the period of her childhood.
The following web page appears to have a picture of this woman.
Playle’s Online Auctions – Archives
Sources & Documents
- 1920 U.S. Census
- 1930 U.S. Census
- Caroline A. Kanistanaux Horton Obituary
- Henry Isaac Kanistanaux Obituary
- The Two Dr. Lees
Review & To-Do for Dr. Lee-o-netto
See the Kanistanaux Map at Google.
Do you have any information to add or questions?
Please leave a comment.
Copyright ©2011-2012 Ne-Do-Ba – All Rights Reserved